Tuesday, October 22, 2019

My Father's Foray Into Writing...






















Above top to bottom My Dad's Firehouse Magazine article, My Dad's WNYF article and Charter Issue of Firehouse Magazine
.
.
Here's a photo of an article by my Dad in the 1st Quarter Issue of WNYF in 1972, titled, "Let Safety go to Your Head," about the ongoing controversy, at the time over leather helmets.

My father spent a couple of years in the Safety Battalion before getting a spot in the 44th Battalion, where he'd been Captain of 107 Truck from 1965 to 1970.

In this article he defended the traditional leather helmets, despite the city's no longer wanting to deal with the measuring and expense.

The most difficult article he wrote was for the Charter Issue (September/October, 1976) of Dennis Smith's "Firehouse Magazine," in which he also defended the traditional leather helmets, in an article titled, "Traditional Fire Helmets, How Safe Are They?"

He'd never dealt with an active, hands-on editor before and like many writers, he balked at any changes to his initial work. Like anything else, collaboration can be difficult, especially if you've never engaged in it before.

Looking through that issue, there was also an article on the now, late, great John Goss, also pictured.
It was a great comfort seeing that.

Two of my favorite people, one, my Dad, the other my mentor in the SAME issue of the SAME magazine.

No comments:

American Ideas Click Here!